Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Change of Direction

I grew up in a glass house. You know, the ministry kind? People looking in, your family is watched....good example or not! As a teenager, I made my decision. I was NOT going to marry a minister and my life would NOT be dictated by glass walls.

Hhhmmmph.

Little did I know, God was preparing me all that time to do just that, live life with people looking in.

When Brian and I married, almost 20 years ago, we had great plans. Business opportunities, great sales training and skills, on our way to acquiring wealth.

God's plan; however, turned out to include wealth of a totally different kind. Brian had been working in management with a company who decided to eliminate his position. (There is a much longer version of this story, if you ever want to know it!) Following losing his job, many long nights of prayer and counsel, we took a position in full time ministry....right where I said I would NEVER be. BUT GOD prepared our hearts and He directed our path.

A church in Pensacola took a chance on an inexperienced pastor more than 9 years ago. Our family has grown, not only physically, but a tremendous growth spiritually as we have led the faithful people of our church. We love the people and we are blessed to be loved in return.

Once again, here we are, a change in the direction of our path.

Several years ago we met a couple, Harry and Echo VanderWal, who were doing mobile medical mission work in Swaziland, South Africa. We were intrigued. We spent time with them and had annual visits upon their return to the US. In God's providence, we had the opportunity to serve along side them when in 2010 we took our family to Swaziland for a month long mission trip as well as the celebration of the centennial of the Church of the Nazarene. One night, while staying with the VanderWals in Manzini, Swaziland, they shared with us their miracle campus dream concept. Their desire was (and still is) to have a clinic, a home for themselves, a commercial size kitchen and eating area, small cottages where work and witness teams would stay when they came to serve and finally, they pointed out a small home, possibly for 4, that they would like to have a pastor living there on staff. I though my heart would beat out of my chest or I might throw up. I thought then, 'this is a place we can serve.' I had no idea that God was planting the seed in me to return 2 years later.

Our hearts have been drawn to the work Harry and Echo are doing with their organization, The Luke Commission. And so, after years prayerfully considering the timing, we now have been asked to pastor with The Luke Commission. How humbled and honored we feel to be serving in such a capacity.

I could not have prepared for what God continues to teach me in this glass house life. These God lessons and blessings have been far more valuable than the world's definition of riches. Obedience is the real wealth.

We covet your prayer and support as we prepare to go in January 2013.

This blog will begin to be linked to a website my family is creating. It will turn into more of a journal of God's stories. I look forward to writing them.

As was written on the fly leaf of Brian's great-grandfather, Harmon's bible:

“Lay any burden upon me; only sustain me. Send me anywhere; only go with me. Sever any tie, but that one which binds me to Thy service and to Thy Heart.” ― David Livingstone

Matthew 28:18-20 MSG
“God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”

Matthew 28:18-20 NRSV
"And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.' "

Go as He commanded.

m

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and with you as you all follow with obedient hearts. We love you! The Johnson's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missi, I am traveling to S. Africa in September to meet with Todd Leslie and the Regional Leadership team about a partnership with College Church in Bourbonnais. I think we need to talk!

    ReplyDelete