Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Reaction


We are experiencing some very interesting and unique times in our lives.  Preparing to go to the mission field full-time invokes quite a range of questions from friends, family and even acquaintances.  It is kind of funny to me what the first reactions are.  I wonder if any of the disciples went through similar situations, well, except the hair color!

What?
You are going where?
Where will you live?
What do the kids think about this?
How long will you be gone?
When will you move?
What will you do with Ellie?
How will you get paid?

And a popular one:
What will you do about your hair?

My absolute all-time favorite first reaction to the news of our accepting a mission call comes from a child, well, a tween.  We have a sweet friend who wrote us a letter asking if she can set up a table at our church to have a bake sale.  She intends to sell cookies and cinnamon rolls (which she specified she will make from scratch) in order to help us raise financial support.

Wow.  Now that is a reaction I'd love to duplicate.  Her first response was, 'I see a need.' This is a kid who gets being part of the solution and wants to do her part.  I love it!

Don't get me wrong,  the curiosity from others is well-meaning and we feel blessed to have people in our lives that fully support following God's call wholeheartedly.  I just cannot help but learn a lesson from our little friend.  Why do I sometimes call into question a motive, when I should be asking 'how can I help?'

The truth is this about our missions call.  We have been praying and asking God for wisdom and guidance for years.  If you know us at all, you KNOW that we would not make this kind of decision overnight.  We have sought God and His guidance alone.

Our prayer is that our first reaction to His plan would always be, 'I see a need' and 'how can I help?' Whether the idea is popular or not was not the question.  How will it all come about, we don't know.  God guides, He provides.  He has proven faithful to His followers for centuries, to our family for more than 100 years, to Brian and myself as a couple for 20 years.   We trust He will continue.  We covet your prayers and your first reaction.

Below, I'm answering the above questions.....just for the curious.

What?  Yes, we are moving to Africa.
You are going where? Yes, Africa, Swaziland, to be specific.
Where will you live?
In a home, not a mud hut or tent with a thatch roof.
What do the kids think about this?
They have been part of the process, and while they will be giving up luxuries, they understand they will gain plenty.
How long will you be gone?
Currently planning on 3 years. (Jan-Oct-Swaziland, Nov-Dec-US)
When will you move? We plan on leaving in January 2013
What will you do with Ellie? We have arrangements with a close family friend to care for this 4-legged family member.
How will you get paid?
We are currently seeking monthly supporters and speaking at a few churches to raise our prayer and financial support.

And a popular one:
What will you do about your hair?
This is a good one.  My very special salon girl (Misty) has been on alert and she is helping me by getting my hair color to take with me AND teaching Brian the basics of trimming my hair ;) Love her!

Most importantly, will you pray?

If you would like to know more or learn how you can be involved in joining hands in ministry with us, visit:
missionswazi.org

1 Corinthians 1:4-9
I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus,  for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind— just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you,  so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by Him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

m

No comments:

Post a Comment