Friday, September 9, 2011

Who's Driving?

As the mother of a 15 year old, I'm sitting in the passenger seat quite a bit lately. I don't really like it. I like to be in control. I'm sure God is teaching me a lesson.

As I am reading the Bible today, I came across this scripture:

'Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?" ' Matthew 16:24-26 MSG

Timely wisdom for a student driver's mom. As we drive along, I am constantly giving instruction. 'Stay in the middle of the lane, slow down, use your turn signal, brake, brake, BRAKE!' There are many teachable moments. Katie is a good listener, but she is a teenager, so sometimes she does kinda think she knows everything!

How are you doing with letting Jesus be the driver? I know from personal experience, it's a struggle to let Him lead. When we try to control situations, manipulate them to go in the direction we want them to, we end up making a huge mess. We want to stay in control because it's all about us. Did you ever consider that He knows more than we can possibly know about every circumstance?

Remember the story of Abraham and Sarah. Sarah tried to manipulate the circumstances and provide an heir to Abraham. God already had a plan for Isaac to be born as Abraham's son. He didn't need Sarah to step in. (You can read this story in Genesis 16.) Sarah ended up making a mess.

Believe me, God's provision is greater than we can ever imagine!
' "I don't think the way you think. The way I work is not the way you work." God’s Decree. “For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think." ' Isaiah 55:8-9 MSG

Before you jump in and navigate your way through life, ask Him to lead.
Let Him be the driver. His directions are the best.

m

No comments:

Post a Comment